I figured I'd use this as a stomping ground to go through some of the things that are different down here in the 804 (VA) compared to that of the 518 (NY) where I lived for the first 25 years of my life.
What comes to mind today is the weather.
When I was growing up, I did not go trick-or-treating for Halloween. My parents just bought us candy because it was ALWAYS cold and rainy. I dont mean like a little bit cold either, I mean like on a borderline snow mix rain kind of level and theres no point in dressing up when you have to wear a sweatshirt UNDER the princess costume and a jacket OVER it, really whats the point.
Halloween is 3 days away and its 82 degrees outside today. The weather report for Friday is 70 something. That means I'm going to have all those little punk kids knocking on my door ((that is if I dont go out with Willowbug)) and pissing Maddie off because the weather is going to be nice.
Granted now it does get a little cooler at night in the Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb months, but the days can be anywhere from 30-70. I remember last year sitting on my porch in Jan singing "Sunny and 75" because it was warm at 75 and there were daffodils already in my front yard.
The fall doesnt have the foliage that NY does with the vibrant colors and all, but the leaves do change color. But its not the same as driving through the mountains in the Adirondacks with such amazement at the colors and brightness of everything.
The summer months get warm, but not ridiculously warm. There were maybe two days where I walked outside and thought to myself "OMG I cant breathe" but for the most part, its just beautiful.
The spring months are my favorite weather. This is when its a little warm, a little cool. The evenings are 60-70, the days are 70-80. Its perfect leave the windows open in the house kind of day.
The winter months have some coolness, but very little, and I mean very little snow. Maybe a dusting at most. (although I heard this winter is going to be bad according to the almanac) Unlike NYs feet (not foot) but feet of snow.
Its not the same. The weather between here and there. I enjoy the weather here more. We have what my mother likes to call the "Virginia Sky". Probably 300 days of the year its blue sky. I dont just mean blue sky, I mean not a cloud in the sky blue sky. Theres no either or when it comes to the clouds down here. Either they fill the sky completely, or there arent any at all. And the blue, the blue is different too. Maybe because we are closer to the ocean here than in NY, but the sky is a deeper shade of sky blue, less white more blue. Its beautiful. (really)
No comments:
Post a Comment