Saturday, September 8, 2018

Marooned: Can YOU Endure Treachery and Survival on the High Seas? James Schannep

This book!  This book was a first for me.  I have never read a "click your poison" or a "choose your own adventure" book before so it was interesting. 
I was the main character.  I was able to choose which direction and path I wanted the character to go down and explore.  Would I survive the adventure?  Or would I meet my demise at any given moment?  The choice was mine.

What I liked about this was that up to a point I was able to decide myself how the storyline went.  Do I want to stay and have a beer?  Or because I know it's taboo, I simply leave the brothel?  Which ship did I want to take?  Which fate would be mine?  It was a great story of pirates, braving the sea, and being underclass in a port city. 

HOWEVER, there was no way to go back to the previous page unless I knew what page I was on, or what chapter.  So if I died (which I did, embarrassingly early in the book) I had to go back and either try to remember the previous chapter and choose a different path, OR I had to start all over again. I could read the book 2-3 times and have it be different every time.  Which I guess is the point, but for me it was a first. 

For me, it was interesting to see how Schannep tied the whole thing together.  No matter what I clicked the story still flowed.  There was no gaps for me.  He wrote in a manner that made the novel an easy read, fun and exciting to follow and leaving me wanting to know all the directions I could take to decide my fate. 

Though I've never read to CYOA novel or anything from Schannep, I would totally recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment