Friday, December 26, 2014

Reading Menu-- Landline

Over the holidays I read Landline by Rainbow Rowell.  It was on the Goodreads top list for the year I think, that's how I found it. 
Its about a woman who is all about her work.  Her work always comes first despite the fact that she has a husband and children who need her.  When the choice comes between spending the holidays with her family away and working for some amazing opportunity that has come up with a deadline, she chooses work. 
After her family leaves, she is unable to get ahold of them and this drives her crazy.  She forgets to shower, she lives in her mothers clothes, she moves back in with her mother and sister for a few days.  She doesn't work even though that is the reason she stayed back to begin with. 
She makes calls on her mothers land line phone and that phone brings her back in time to the man she knew before they were married.  She spends hours on the phone talking to her past.  She embraces the calls and spends days thinking of nothing else.  Only after a few conversations and long thought processes does she realize that she needs to be with her family and she goes. 

For me, this book is interesting on two levels.  One, the idea of a phone that can call the past and such.  There are plenty of people I would love to be able to speak with again and know what I do now.  The fact that Georgie gets to have these conversations and is at the stage she is in now is a reminder to her of what she could be having if she just remembered to look, to be. 
Two, Rowell has three characters in the book that interact on the same level.  One is Georgie, and the other two are the men in Georgie's life.  These men are both interesting because one is the more obvious choice for Georgie.  But Rowell puts her main character with Neal, her husband, and he doesn't fit.  But, yet, they do fit.  Seth, her coworker is the more obvious choice for a man to be with Georgie, and even in the end, Rowell gives him opportunity to be with her, but she chooses her husband.  Its not the ending one would expect, but it was a good ending. 

Was it a happy ending?  I guess it depends on the reader.  I think that Georgie flying out there to see and spend time with her kids and such means that she is ready to make it work, but... the fact that she didn't go to begin with means that she may always chose her work.

This was a light and entertaining read, one that I would recommend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment