Friday, August 24, 2018

The Secrets We Keep-Mia Hayes


This book is so chic-lit.  It's a fun, quick, bitchy, Mean girls meets Desperate Housewives read.  It was perfect for my mood, but I can appreciate how it wouldn't be a read for everyone.

Elizabeth is a wife and mom running from her husbands past infidelity and not so slight nervous breakdown when she moves into the rich suburb of Waterford.  She just barely resonates with the popular country club women, and just barely blends in with the "normal" moms.  But Waterford is a town where gossip runs in the veins of women and money seeps out their pores so "normal" is not exactly acceptable.  Rumors are flying about infidelity, finances, cosmetic surgery and more.  What's true and what's not?  When Elizabeth starts to question her own life and the people in it, the people who are supposed to care, she comes up with answers she didn't think she'd find.

My thoughts:
*What I liked about this novel was Hayes read on bipolar disorder.  I often wondered myself if Elizabeth was really crazy, or if her husband was manipulating her to think she was.  I'm sure it's a fine line.
*At some point in the novel I hated every single character.  The ones I thought were catty bitches turned out to actually have a heart, and the ones I thought were endearing turned out to be scum.  But I guess it was easier to relate to some of the characters that way.
*It was a quick and fun read.  I was enthralled with the first page and couldn't put it down. 


This is my first read from Mia Hayes.  I think I'll check out some of her other material.

No comments:

Post a Comment